Lancaster is a significant market town, and southern gateway to the Lake District. If you're in need of retail therapy on a rainy day, there are masses of shops, including five arcades. If you combine that with numerous restaurants, cafés, pubs and bars, then you have the perfect setting for a great day out. However, Lancaster has so much more to offer its visitors. It is host to two castles, two museums (one of which highlights Lakeland life), an art gallery, various buildings of historical significance and a gorgeous river running through the middle. If it's character you're looking for, take a look at the dozens and dozens of 'Yards' which fan out from the main streets, home to stories of Lancaster's colourful past. But most of all, delight in a lovely place in a lovely location, nestling as it does amongst the low hills at the start of the Lakes.
Buy SAFELY using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) or PAYPAL with a credit/debit card, or via your Paypal account.
Encrypted links guarantee maximum security.
Enter number of copies after Add To Basket. Add a Discount Code, if you have one, on the Payments screen.
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer and print at home right now, for £5.99
Add to Basket
BUY a BOOKLET which we will print and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Lancaster's town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every-which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the town's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Lancaster in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the town - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Lancaster
Curious About... Lancaster
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Castle to Dalton Square - 1.5 miles / 2.4 kms
Wind your way round the commanding John O’ Gaunt’s castle, nestling alongside Lancaster Priory, before descending rapidly into the centre of the city. Walk along a 12th century street and through Lancaster’s coffee quarter, before exiting Market Square – the beating heart of the city. Out now to the languid canal, overlooked by Lancaster Cathedral, before finishing at Dalton Square, centuries old and steeped in history.
Children's University event1.5 hoursOK but diversion maybe needed
2. Dalton Square to River Lune - 0.8 miles / 1.3 kms
From Lancaster’s historic Dalton Square this walk runs along vibrant but ancient lanes and streets, where modern meets the past. Explore Market Square with its museums, and places where people can sit, talk, listen and watch. Read about Lancaster’s fascinating past as you make your way to its imposing castle, set on a hill. Down now to finish your walk at the River Lune, once home to Britain’s fourth largest port.
Children's University event1 hourOK
Each booklet is A5 size with 16-pages, which you can download to your computer and print, or we'll send you a pre-printed copy to your nominated address.
The booklet has a page dedicated to the history of the town; 2 pages describing each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way; Walk 1 usually has 21 clues and walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places and events along the way, an answers page, detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck, and a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. Once your file is downloaded to your computer you will need to print it on normal A4 paper. The email you receive with the download link explains how best to fold the pages, to make it into an A5 booklet. Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 or 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Lancaster).
Let us know one interesting fact you discovered along the route of each walk (this provides proof that you did it).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.