Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Explore Reading town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Reading's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Reading (pronounced Redding) is a large town in the Royal County of Berkshire, sitting astride the mighty River Thames, and the delightful River Kennet. Dating back to the 6th century it is renowned for its 12th century abbey, the fabulous Forbury Gardens, delightful waterways, an impressive Town Hall, fast links to London and a plethora of shops, bars and restaurants. Bustling with people, the shopping streets are always busy, but just a stone's throw away are a number of treasures just waiting to be found.
Code Curious15 at checkout for 15% discount on purchases over £10
Buy safely & securely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) with a credit/debit card, or use PAYPAL
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £5.99
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £5.99
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Reading's town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every-which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the town's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Reading in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the town - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Reading
Curious About... Reading
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Riverside Museum to Town Hall - 1.5 miles / 2.4 kms
From the fascinating Riverside Museum the first half of this walk leads you along the banks of the beguiling River Kennet, before a short excursion beside the timeworn Holy Brook – unknown to most, hidden away in the centre of the town. Next you’ll pass Reading’s ancient Abbey before entering the fabulous Forbury Gardens, finally completing your walk in front of Reading’s majestic Town Hall.
Children's University event1.5 hoursNot Suitable
2. Town Hall to County Lock - 1 mile / 1.6 kms
Starting at the imposing Town Hall this walk takes you past an ancient monument and then through the heart of the town - walking down historic Broad Street, where a 16th century Archbishop of Canterbury was born, Elizabeth I was entertained, and the 2nd Battle of Reading took place. Next circle Reading Minster before a short walk beside the River Kennet, to finish at the relaxing County Lock.
Children's University event1 hourOK
Each booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of the city; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Reading).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.
What People are Saying!
"I've lived just outside Reading for many years, and always thought it to be rather boring - lots of bland buildings. However, having done your two walks I've now changed my mind - walking alongside rivers and canals, discovering small footpaths which burrow their way around the centre, the delightful Forbury Gardens, an ancient abbey, a fascinating church, and much, much more. Great!"
Latest Revision : June 2018