Soho is a square mile of London bordered to the west by Regent Street, Oxford Street to the north, Charing Cross Road to the east and Leicester Square to the south. In the 1950s the music scene flourished with jazz venues such as Ronnie Scott’s. Skiffle groups first started here and the Marquee Club hosted such acts as David Bowie, the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. By the 1960s the area had around 100 strip clubs and numerous clip joints and sex shops. However, in the 1980s the City of Westminster tightened control and today Soho is a vibrant mix of bars, pubs, restaurants, street food and shops, with colourful characters in what is still a relatively liberal area.
Buy SAFELY using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) or PAYPAL with a credit/debit card, or via your Paypal account.
Encrypted links guarantee maximum security.
Enter number of copies after Add To Basket. Add a Discount Code, if you have one, on the Payments screen.
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer and print at home right now, for £5.99
Add to Basket
BUY a BOOKLET which we will print and send to you for £6.50 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of London's Soho with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every-which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the district's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Soho in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the district - so buses, trains, tubes and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... London Soho
Curious About... London Soho
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Oxford Circus to Soho Square - 1.5 miles / 2.4 kms
From the ever-busy Oxford Circus this walk winds its way round the restless streets of Soho, giving you glimpses of everything that makes it heart beat that bit faster. Pass the famous Liberty’s store into the cool Newburgh Quarter and Carnaby Street, home to modern fashion. Cross a Golden Square before sampling some of Soho’s more colourful and historic streets. End at Soho Square, centre of the ancient French Quarter.
Children's University event1.5 hoursOK but diversion maybe needed
2. Soho Square to Leicester Square - 0.75 miles / 1.2 kms
Starting at the restful Soho Square Gardens busy with people, this walk threads round streets famous for their restaurants and cosmopolitan flavours. Bend round Cambridge Circus and step into a different world for a while – Chinatown, brilliant colours, sprawling shops and remarkable restaurants. Leave a bit dizzy but find your feet again in Leicester Square, amazed by the street artists plying their trade.
Children's University event0.75 hoursOK
Each booklet is A5 size with 16-pages, which you can download to your computer and print, or we'll send you a pre-printed copy to your nominated address.
The booklet has a page dedicated to the history of the district; 2 pages describing each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way; Walk 1 usually has 21 clues and walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places and events along the way, an answers page, detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck, and a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. Once your file is downloaded to your computer you will need to print it on normal A4 paper. The email you receive with the download link explains how best to fold the pages, to make it into an A5 booklet. Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 or 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg London Soho).
Let us know one interesting fact you discovered along the route of each walk (this provides proof that you did it).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.