Self-guided walks for the Curious...
Explore Stamford town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Stamford's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Stamford is a Lincolnshire Stone Town, full of old world charm - its history going back well over 1,000 years. Stamford was a walled town and an inland port, mentioned by Shakespeare in Henry IV Part 2. The mid-lent fair is one of the largest street fairs in the country, and for 600 years it hosted the Stamford Bull Run festival, after a local Earl rode after a bull which had escaped into the town. It’s regularly used for film and TV productions, including the Da Vinci Code and Middlemarch. In 2013 Stamford was rated the best place to live by the Sunday Times.
Code Curious20 at checkout for 20% discount on purchases over £12
We are still open for business, but please make sure you are following government guidelines before doing our walks
Buy safely & securely using STRIPE (inc Apple Pay) with a credit/debit card, or use PAYPAL
DOWNLOAD a PDF to your computer (PC, Mac or mobile) right now and print at home for £7.49
Add to Basket
DOWNLOAD a PDF (alternate format) to use on your phone or tablet right now for £7.49
Add to Basket
ORDER a BOOKLET which we will print and bind and send to you for £7.99 + P&P
Add to Basket
Closest Curious Walks
- An exploration of Stamford's town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with an optional treasure hunt. Completing the treasure hunt keeps everyone actively engaged, and urges you to look up, down and every-which-way - so you won't miss out on any of the town's treasures.
Explore, Discover, and Enjoy!
- Most clues are chosen for their historical value, so you'll learn about the diverse culture, significant people and extraordinary events which have influenced Stamford in becoming what it is today.
- This is an outdoor, unsupervised activity - so you can go at a pace which suits you, whilst keeping you healthy!
- A Curious About walk is a fun and social activity for all the family and friends. Different people can take on different roles - follow the map, identify picture clues, read directions, etc - it's ideal for children from the age of 6, and if you can walk/wheelchair it, you're young enough!
- The two walks have been designed so that the second one follows on from where the first one ends. Do both, or have a breather and do the second one another day! They both start and finish in the heart of the town - so buses, trains and car parks are easily available to get you there and back.
- One booklet is suitable for up to 4 people, and is available to instantly download on purchase for printing at home or for using immediately on your mobile device, or we can print it for you and send it using 1st class Royal Mail.
Curious About... Stamford
Curious About... Stamford
Two walks are included in the booklet, the 2nd starts where the first finishes.
1. Town Walk - 1.5 miles / 2.4 kms
Stamford, a quintessentially English town, has one main shopping street with a variety of lanes off housing fascinating and quirky shops. This walk highlights many of the surprises to be found, whilst exposing much of its intriguing past and splendid architecture – its large collection of churches, a 15th century almshouse, the 16th century Stamford School, a brewery dating back hundreds of years, and an 18th century theatre.
St Michael's Churchyard All Saints' Church Children's University event1.5 hours
2. Heritage Walk - 1 mile / 1.6 kms
Stamford’s recorded history goes back well over 1,000 years. Untouched by the industrial revolution, much of the town centre was built in the 17th and 18th centuries, in Georgian or Jacobean style. Because of its conservation status much of the town still retains its old world charm, and the Heritage Walk will show you most of it!
Red Lion Square The George Hotel Children's University event1 hour
Each booklet is A5 size. You can: a) download to your computer & print; b) download to your phone or tablet (different format) & use directly from there; c) order a pre-printed copy which we post to you. Each has a page dedicated to the history of the city; 2 pages summarising each walk with suggestions re what to visit along the way. Walk 1 has 21 clues & walk 2 has 14 - both with detailed directions to follow. There are stories about important people, places & events along the way; detailed instructions how to find a clue if you're stuck; a comprehensive map with the routes marked on.
When you click on the Add to Basket button a pop-up asks if you want to checkout using Stripe (default) or Paypal, or continue shopping. If you decide to checkout you are taken through payments via a quick & secure process managed by a third-party company called SendOwl. At the end of the payment process SendOwl will email you a confirmation email (inc download link if relevant).
Download files are typically between 3 and 6 mb. You have 14 days to complete your download, and up to 3 attempts are permitted. If you buy the print-at-home version you will need to print it on normal A4 paper and the email you receive, with the download link, explains how best to fold the pages to make it into an A5 booklet. If you buy the download to mobile version you will need pdf reading software on your phone or tablet, eg using the Adobe Acrobat App (free). Please see our FAQs page for further information.
The booklet has a flexible cover, which has been professionally printed. The inside pages are printed to order, to ensure that they are as up-to-date as possible. We post booklets out 1st class Royal Mail, usually the same, or next working day. A postage & packing charge of £1.49 is made for 1 or 2 booklets within the UK. 3 to 6 booklets it's £1.99, and after that it's £3.99. Outside the UK it's £2.49 for 1 booklet, £3.49 for 2 booklets, £4.99 for 3 to 6 booklets and £7.99 after that.
If you are enrolled in the Children's University you can now gain hours towards your next award by completing one or more of our many Curious About walks.
Please note, for safety reasons a child should be accompanied by an adult, either parent/carer or person in loco parentis. Also, the booklets may require a degree of interpretation by an adult, as well as support and guidance.
To get your Children's University sticker:
- Buy the download or booklet (which will contain two walks).
- Complete one or both walks in your own time.
- Complete the Returns Form below and send it to us:
Complete one form for each location (eg Stamford).
Let us know one additional interesting fact you discovered along the route for each walk you complete (this provides proof that you did it / them).
- We will then send you an email with your sticker, which you can print, cut out and stick in your passport. Hours awarded will equal those shown against each walk.
What People are Saying!
"We’ve always loved Stamford, but even more so after exploring it with Curious About. So much we’ve not noticed before. Thank You."
"Hi, we've completed both Stamford walks today and really enjoyed them. We had a really lovely day answering all the questions on the walks and learning all about Stamford, so thank you."
Latest Revision : August 2019